Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Memorial Day Reflection


 Memorial Day is an American holiday that falls on the last Monday of May. It is a day to pay respects to the fallen soldiers that have defended our country. It is also a day to reflect on those that you have lost in your own personal life.

A few weeks ago I heard a song by the group WAR that I’d never heard before. It dredged up so many painful emotions that I literally wept for hours. Even now as I post it to the blog I feel the emotion behind the song so deeply. The losses that we all face in our lives are devastating and heartfelt, but the losses that we face due to death can create so many painful feelings that are difficult to face, at least that is the case for me. 

This being The Memorial Day Weekend, I decided to face some of my own grief (privately—not on the blog).  Sometimes, it seems so much easier to bury it, try to forget it, ignore it…but in the end pain finds its way out. So I decided to look at today as a celebration of beautiful memories instead of blocking them away. I expect I’ll cry a lot but I think that’s why we have a three day weekend…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Holiday Shopping at Amazon