Sunday, February 12, 2012

RIP Whitney Houston


When I typed the title to this post, it auto typed the words Etta James, Don Cornelius...and now within a matter of weeks I'm wishing Whitney Houston a peaceful here-after. Ben and I were talking and he says, "And the freak out over Whitney being dead begins,"

I just said, "What?"

"Whitney Houston is dead."

Confirmed through CNN, I was soon to know every bit of minutia about Whitney Houston, including the reaction of people walking down the street of her old neighborhood.

I have no commentary on the use of drugs, no jokes that would belittle what her babygirl is going through, her Mama, the rest of her family--not to mention her fans. All I have is a sense of mortality that at 48 years old her body stopped working. And I'm sad that another talent is lost to the world too soon because of something that quite possibly could have been avoided.

With that statement I will play you one of my favorite Whitney songs; Shoop Shoop. It's from the movie Waiting to Exhale.


Sometimes you'll laugh
Sometimes you'll cry
Life never tells us, the when's or why's
When you've got friends, to wish you well
You'll find your point when
You will exhale...yeah

4 comments:

  1. What always will confound me is when the true god given talent that graces the world so very often is rtainted by the ugliness of adiction. Her voice inspied so many and now due to her owb hand it is gone. I always wonder why it is so, but I guess in the pain imposed by the high strung society standards is too much for even an angelic voice to overcome. Rest well Whitney, may you at last know the peace this life never afforded you. May your voice rival the angels who gave it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about this same thing a few days ago; wondering if those creative people are more prone to self-destruction. Or again, is it just that we place them on pedestals without realizing that they are no different than the girl down the street with a drug habit and the guy around the corner that has 'issues'? Sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lasoeurafroallemandeFebruary 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

      I have a never-ending Whitney soundtrack playing in my head. Drowning out the words. Drowning out the thoughts of how the life of this incredible musical talent has come to an end. I'm sad but I'll always have the music...

      Delete
  3. Whitney seemed to live life to the fullest. To me she seemed like the type that you could have a good conversation with and know that she was going to keep it real. Maybe we all have an Aunt Whitney, a cousin Whitney a good friend Whitney--and they always seem to have some talent that you wished you had, accompanied by tortured soul. It's like the movie Sparkle. The 2012 remake of the old classic has Whitney starring as Effie. But remember how Sister was so talented, beautiful and f***** up? Drug addiction is ugly and it doesn't recognize class, money or talent when it's taking over your life.

    ReplyDelete

Holiday Shopping at Amazon