Thursday, December 11, 2014

Getting into the spirit of the season

My fireplace and Christmas Tree

I live in a house that is nearly 100 years old. I remember this house even before I ever owned it. This is the house that belonged to my grandparents. When I was a child I used to stand in Grandma's kitchen with the pleasant smells of passed cooked dishes and the cleaning solution she used on the Linoleum floor. I remember watching her at the kitchen sink with its bright window right in front of her and I thought the best thing in the world was to wash dishes while looking out across your back yard. I wished that one day I'd have a kitchen sink with a window situated right in front of it. And now I have my Grandmother's kitchen.
I remember looking at my grandparent's fireplace and hoping to grow up and have a house with a fireplace. Now I have my grandparent's fireplace. Mine is a small humble house but to me it is so beautiful. I feel blessed to call this place my very own home.
Holiday get-together
I put up the Christmas tree this year and remembered as a child how we would get dressed up so that we could spend Thanksgiving or Christmas at Grandma and Granddaddy's house. We'd bring our toys (and lose some over here). All of my cousins and uncles would party until the wee hours and this was our tradition. Funky Good Time by James Brown always ended up on the record player right along with Parliament Funkadelic and the kids would form a 'Soul Train Line'.
Now as time has moved on this house is quiet. With the passing of my Grandparents we no longer gather here to celebrate. 2014 has marked the passing of many family members; Uncle Greg, Uncle RJ, Uncle Joe, Aunt Ann my cousin Kenny--and then there is the loss of friends and I reflect on this year and pray that the next keeps us and our loved ones safe.
Memories shouldn't make you sad--and in this case it doesn't. I like reliving my childhood memories and walking from room to room reflecting on a past that is now a part of my present and maybe even my own grandchildren's future.
My grandmother dancing

Grandma and Uncle Greg



No comments:

Post a Comment

Holiday Shopping at Amazon