Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What is Pep listening to; August 26, 2010?

O
M
G
!!!

I just discovered an amazing group called Little Dragon.  I was surfing YouTube, listening to POGO and I saw a video on the sidebar called Constant Surprises.  I wondered if it was a new POGO video that I'd missed.  I pressed play...and...WHY DID I HEAR A BLACK WOMAN'S VOICE COMING FROM A JAPANESE WOMAN???  So I'm staring at the video and this Japanese woman with a slight Asian accent is also sounding like a straight up soul singer!


I read some of the comments and they were calling her the Japanese Erykah Badu.  Alot of you know that I love music that has a fusion of hip hop/soul and Asian.  I mean, that is just my thing so I was like...YIPPEE!  I went searching for more music by the group and discovered an endless supply of Little Dragon that I can explore at my leisure.  Thank you Thank you, YouTube!!!



Little Dragon is a Swedish group made up of school friends.  Lead Singer Yukimi Nagano, who is Japanese/Swedish, was given the nick name Little Dragon when she would become frustrated and angry during rehearsals that didn't go right.  The group adopted the name.

CONSTANT SURPRISES~Little Dragon

 

TWICE~ Little Dragon


EMPIRE ANT~Gorillaz (feat. Little Dragon)

8 comments:

  1. Twice is one of my favorite songs ever, it's the perfect bit of melancholy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it the truth, Kem?! I absolutely adore this song. And the video is so touching--though I have no idea what the hell it's about...A commenter on YouTube provided a pretty good meaning but I'm still unsure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the youtube comments. The first thing I thought of when I heard her voice was Erykah Badu. She's got that neo-soul, I guess is the classification, type of voice. Yeah, it's interesting to see that in a Japanese woman, can't say that I've seen or heard of many, or any at all really, Japanese, or Asian artists period, who have that particular sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pepper,

    This comment isn't really for this particular post, but I just wanted to say your writing is AMAZING. I'm actually a writer on Literotica as well; I go under the name RaLaWrites and I have a small little series called Express Lane (which I am horrible about updating, especially when a new semester of school is beginning, like today!)

    Anyway, I just want to say your writing is so very unique. It's been a while since I've read another member's writing, but I am in LOVE with Wheels of Steel. I enjoy that you dislike writing about pretty, perfect characters and love making things a little more unique. You are definitely one of my favorites! I hope I don't sound TOO much like a fangirl!


    - RaLa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this group already! Thanks pepperpace. They sort of remind me of morcheeba.


    -BeachBunny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for another great introduction. you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh,I am so happy that you love her too. I found out about her from a song she did with Gorillaz who I also love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not believe I would have ever found this young woman and her talent. I agree on the meaning of the song. I've spent the day trying to figure it out. Thanks Lakergirl

    ReplyDelete

Holiday Shopping at Amazon