Saturday, September 22, 2012

The downside of posting to free sites



Ugh, I have just spent a grueling 3 hours sending out 'Take down notices' to various sites that have posted my writings without my permission. 

When a writer posts their work to sites like Literotica.com then some people take the stories and share them on other sites where the reader can download them to read on their mobile readers. I don't like having my stories in different host sites that I have not granted permission to. One reason is that even if the file is not for sale on those sites and no one is making money from them/and even if it is a story that I don't intend to publish, I often make updates and edits. I can't control the content that is hosted on another site where I have not given my permission.

But that doesn't even begin to address the problems for an author who then has to remove any free posts in order to publish. It is not fair to people who are paying for the story to have others download it for free. And in some cases a publishing site might refuse to even publish your story if there are too many instances of the story appearing for free on the internet. 

That is the dilemma that I've had to face with Beast. I wasn't able to publish it through Amazon because it appeared for free in too many places. Once I got that settled I then had to go on a 'hunt' for other Pepper Pace stories that appear on free sites.

In many of the cases I am finding that the versions that appear on these sites are the versions that appeared on Literotica.com before I published them. And while I don't regret my time spent there and providing the free stories that I did, I do wish that I had removed them all once Stranded was stolen and published without my permission. Literotica is a site that you post to at your own risk...if you intend to ever publish that work then I would definitely bypass the site.

I post stories to my blog for free and trust that my readers will not post them to other sites without my permission. When they are posted for free then yes, it is absolutely okay for you to upload them to your own devices whether they be to a smart phone, Nook or Kindle. But please do not copy and post to other sites for the purposes of mass distribution and download. 

Now the ones that really have me heated are the downloads that are ripped off directly from places like Amazon and B&N. And then when they are hosted on sites where it clearly shows an author's book cover with an author's name (which doesn't match the name of the poster) than you have to question why these host sites do not do a better job of 'policing' the content that they allow to upload. A simple Google search would show the true owners of the work. I've contacted Billy London and other writers about this and I am always notified by other writers about instances of copyright infringement. 

It is exhausting. But don't think this means that I don't like providing access to my 'free' work. It just means that I want to be the one that controls when and where. You can help me by notifying me at Pepperpace.author@yahoo.com whenever you see my stories posted somewhere illegally.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Pep. I just read your post and decided to Google my story Beautiful Stranger and found the same thing you did. What exactly did you send each sites as far as the Take Down Notices? I eventually plan on publishing this story and like you like having control over each one I post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is terrible! I'm sorry to hear it. I've cut and pasted a standard 'Take down' page here. Send me an email to pepperpace.author@yahoo.com if you want me to email it to you.

    I, (YOUR NAME), am the duly authorized representative of the exclusive rights holder for the book BOOK TITLE.(PUT URLS PROVING THAT THE BOOK WAS COPYRIGHTED BY YOU SOMEPLACE ELSE-I USED MY LINK TO AMAOZON.COM AUTHOR'S PAGE.)

    · These exclusive rights are being violated by material available upon your site at the following URL(s):

    · (INSERT THE URL OF THE ILLEGAL MATERIAL)

    · As I am the copyright holder I verify that the use of this material in such a fashion is not authorized by the copyright holder, the copyright holder's agent, or the law;

    · Under penalty of perjury in a United States court of law, I state that the information contained in this notification is accurate, and that I am authorized to act on the behalf of the exclusive rights holder for the material in question;

    · I may be contacted by the following methods:

    (YOUR ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER (WOULDN'T SUGGEST GIVING IT), EMAIL ADDRESS.)

    I hereby request that you remove or disable access to this material as it appears on your service in as expedient a fashion as possible.

    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I sent a less formal email, but included the story title and where it was found on their sight. I also placed where I have authorized it be used. If it's not taken down then I'll use this one. One site has it on their search engine under author unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Google DPGgroup and then the name of your story. If you find it there then you might want to send me an email and I'll share some info about getting them shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first read stranded on litererotica, knew you were the author but when it came out on amazon the first time I bought it assuming that you had used a different name to publish it. I saw it again maybe about 5 months later under your pen name, bought it thinking you had added or made some changes to the story. That was when I first realized some one had stolen your work, needless to say I was pissed twice. Mad for you that someone had stolen your work and was profiting from it, mad for me that I had been taken by a thief thinking that I was supporting a really good author. Wish there was some way that he could be made to pay you back for stealing the profit from your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelley,
      I am sorry that you spent your money on it. In my case I was a little more fortunate than most writers because someone tipped me off to the guy within three days of him posting my story. And because it was so soon he was not able to collect any royalties. They just stayed with Amazon. So one good thing is that while I didn't get paid--he didn't either.
      :)

      Delete
  6. Hello Pepper. I would suggect you also check on Scribid.com. This site is very bad about stories being posted without the author permission. I am upset now because I have been waiting to purchased "Beast". Take care Bain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bain,
    Scribd is one of the sites that I had to post a take down notice today. Fingers crossed that they will comply. Oh, and guess what? BEAST is available on Amazon now. I'll post the link in a seperate link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pepper, will I be able to purchase "Beast" in paperback at amazon also? Thank you Bain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bain, you will be able to purchase BEAST in paperback. I haven't created it yet but I will soon.

      Delete
  9. Hi Pepperpace,

    I am a fan of your work and am both sad and angry to hear that people are lame enough to steal the work of another. Have you been able to contact a lawyer who specializes in copyright law? Best of luck on your future sales. I'm keeping an eye on your posts here because I am interested in publishing, just not so keen on fighting with faceless jack@$$es that choose to steal work for profit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Quiet Mahogany Storm. I know so many talented people who refuse to share their talent because of fear of this very thing. I appreciate you keeping an eye out for me and hope it doesn't discourage you from pursuing your writing.

      Delete
  10. Hi Pepper!
    I love your work and my motto has always been write it well and I shall BUY it!! you are a great writer and I appreciate the free work you post for us readers and its a shame that there are people out there who feel that they need to ruin a great thing, bloody parasites!!! Nevertheless, i just bought Beast and I look forward to reading it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pepper!
    I love your work and my motto has always been write it well and I shall BUY it!! you are a great writer and I appreciate the free work you post for us readers and its a shame that there are people out there who feel that they need to ruin a great thing, bloody parasites!!! Nevertheless, i just bought Beast and I look forward to reading it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you lisan. Writing is so much a part of me that I even though I know I should be working on my 'money making stories' I also want to kick out stories that are deep in my heart. Thanks for writing and I hope you enjoy BEAST.

    ReplyDelete

Holiday Shopping at Amazon